Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Harry Potter Adventure: The Pregame

Tomorrow, October 1, 2010, I begin my challenge to read all seven Harry Potter books consecutively.  The goal is to be finished before the theatrical release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 on November 19, 2010.  That gives me exactly 50 days to read a total of 4100 pages.  That comes out to 82 pages a day.  *WHEW*

 My history with Harry Potter isn't really all that exciting.  I never dressed up like a character and went to a midnight release party.  I can't even say I was one of the fans before the movies were made.  In fact I didn't even see The Sorcerer's Stone in the theaters because I was in the middle of reading it at the time and didn't want the ending spoiled.  But I love the series.  I truly believe it will last through time as one of the great works of fantasy along with Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, Star Wars, and (one of my favorites) His Dark Materials(aka The Golden Compass).  Last year I had the chance to go to the Harry Potter exhibit when it was at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.  While there I had the chance to be sorted.  yep, I wore the sorting hat and it assigned me to my house.  I am a Slytherin.  The thing about Harry Potter that always gets me is how much I fall in love with the characters.  Even the evil ones.  Voldemort is one of the most brilliant villains of all time!  My favorite characters in the series have never been Harry, Ron, or Hermione because the supporting cast is just as well developed as the leading characters.  

As it stands now, my favorites are....
BOOK: 1. The Half Blood Prince 2. The Prisoner of Azkaban
CHARACTER(s):   1. Luna Lovegood  2. Remus Lupin  3. Tom Riddle
MOVIE: The Sorcerer's Stone (I just love the magic of Hogwarts and everything being so new)
MOMENT: Neville Longbottom winning the house cup for Griffindor


Post in the comments your Harry Potter Favorites Lists!

2 comments:

  1. Alright, my favorites.

    BOOK: 1. The Deathly Hallows 2. Order of the Phoenix

    Character: 1. Dumbledore 2. Mad Eye Moody 3. Phineus Nigelus (He's snarky and i love it.)

    Movie: Order of the Phoenix (it was respite from allergy horror)

    Moment: When Peeves salutes Fred and George after their punk rock exit from Hogwarts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Harry Potter exhibit was awesome! I was a Hufflepuff!

    ~Crystal
    thegreasyscreen.com

    ReplyDelete